What to Report
Spotters are asked to report any occurrence of severe weather to your Skywarn EC, Skywarn Net Controller or directly to us at the NWS. These reports are of tremendous importance to us since they firmly tell us what the weather is like at the ground and aid us in understanding what we are seeing on our radar and satellite images. If you see any of the following eight types of events, please call us! These events are considered emergency traffic on the Ham network; please relay them to the NWS immediately.
- Tornadoes, Water Spouts, and Funnel Clouds.
- Damaging Winds that down trees, large limbs and power lines or any wind producing property damage.
- Hail of at least pea size
- Lightning that produces damage, injury or death.
- Flooding, Ice Jams, Bankfull Rivers or Streams.
- Measured Rainfall that exceeds 1.0 in a 24 hour period.
- Freezing Rain (all occurrences).
- Snowfall greater than 1″